Save To Worklist
MUSC 402A Special Projects - SPECIAL PROJECTS
For fourth-year students who receive permission of the Director of the School of Music to do advanced studies in their major field.
- This course is restricted to students in one of these programs: BMUS in year: =4 with one of these specializations: MAJ ****
|Status||Section||Activity||Term||Interval||Days||Start Time||End Time||Comments|
|Blocked||MUSC 402A 951||Directed Studies||1|
Term 1 course. Interested students will need to submit to Dr. Chang (dorothy.chang(at)ubc.ca; Rm. 315 MUSC building), a written proposal -- outlining what work will be done, how it will be evaluated, and signed by the supervising FT faculty member. MUSC 402 should be in a music-related subject that a full-time Music faculty member can supervise. 402s have to be approved by Dr. Dorothy Chang - dorothy.chang(at)ubc.ca or 604-822-3715). Develop a written proposal as follows: Brainstorm topics; talk to some professors (not part-time faculty), see who's interested and available to supervise you.
Write a proposal that:
* describes the topic
* describes the type and quantity of work you will do (typically each week you'll do 4-5 hours of independent research, then meet for an hour with the supervisor; and at the end you'll produce a substantial paper. Think about the course as if it is an upper-level history course, with classtime and research papers.)
* specifies the number of credits (3 for one term, 6 for the full year, which would obviously require twice the work)
* describes how your work will be evaluated (graded)
* names the supervisor, and explains what kind of supervision s/he will provide
Get the supervisor to sign the proposal so that I know s/he is willing to work with you, and that s/he agrees to evaluate you as the proposal states.