Save To Worklist

MUSC 402C Special Projects - SPECIAL PROJECTS

For fourth-year students who receive permission of the Director of the School of Music to do advanced studies in their major field.

This course is eligible for Credit/D/Fail grading. To determine whether you can take this course for Credit/D/Fail grading, visit the Credit/D/Fail website. You must register in the course before you can select the Credit/D/Fail grading option.

Credits: 6

Status Section Activity Term Interval Days Start Time End Time Comments
UnreleasedMUSC 402C 002Directed Studies1-2
BlockedMUSC 402C 941Directed Studies1-2

Term 1-2 course. Interested students will need to submit to Dr. Chang (dorothy.chang(at); Rm. 315 MUSC building), a written proposal -- outlining what work will be done, how it will be evaluated, and signed by the supervising FT faculty member. MUSC 402 should be in a music-related subject that a full-time Music faculty member can supervise. 402s have to be approved by the Dr. Dorothy Chang - dorothy.chang(at) or 604-822-3715. Develop a written proposal as follows: Brainstorm topics; talk to some professors (not part-time faculty), see who's interested and available to supervise you.

Write a proposal that:

* describes the topic

* describes the type and quantity of work you will do (typically each week you'll do 4-5 hours of independent research, then meet for an hour with the supervisor; and at the end you'll produce a substantial paper. Think about the course as if it is an upper-level history course, with classtime and research papers.)

* specifies the number of credits (3 for one term, 6 for the full year, which would obviously require twice the work)

* describes how your work will be evaluated (graded)

* names the supervisor, and explains what kind of supervision s/he will provide

Get the supervisor to sign the proposal so that I know s/he is willing to work with you, and that s/he agrees to evaluate you as the proposal states.